Tuesday, December 5, 2006

swimming with humpback whales




Since 1993, I have led 2-3 trips a year dedicated to marine photography to a destination within the Indo-pacific. Many of the trips ( 17) have been to Indonesia as the people are friendly and the bio-diversity of marine life is incredible. Lately however my focus has been on pelagic life in the blue, as opposed to macro life on the reef. It started in 2005, with a lucky encounter with pilot whales and an Oceanic white tip reef shark off the big island of Hawaii.

In 2006 I led a small group to Tonga and had the opportunity to swim with a new born humpback whale. It was incredible, so I have decided to return to Tonga in mid September 2007 and again in late August 2008. The first trip will be based in Vavau' where I have organized a small speed boat, a very expereinced captain, and hotel accomodations. The trip in 2008 will be to the Happai Island group and will be conducted from a 50 foot sailboat. I am limiting the size of the groups to 3- 4 people, as a smaller group means a bigger chance for encounters.

I have learned that a small group of people staying together does not cause a mother whale to fear for the safety of her calf, but several people swimming from all directions, including downward certainly does. This is a snorkel trip, so participants need not be certified divers. Those who are interested are invited to email me for details.

No comments: